Finger Hut Follies

Sugar Shack, JMN, photo.

Sugar Shack, JMN, photo.

Mimsy and Chance Lafarge went to Cloudburst for the weekend to celebrate their tenth anniversary. Drove up in two cars with Dandi and Mitch Oddbocker and Shay and Rafe Bickford. Planned to split up on Saturday so Mimsy, Dandi, and Shay could do girl stuff, and Chance, Mitch, and Rafe could do guy stuff. They’d all meet back at the hotel for beers before dinner.

On Sunday the guys would play golf. The girls would shop and go to a club called The Stirrup to see the male strippers. They’d all meet back at the hotel for beers before dinner.

Friday night Mimsy gets a call from the Finger Hut back home. Her youngest son Cisco, it turns out, has phoned in an order for sixteen deluxe pork finger baskets. It was to feed the junior varsity, he told them. Mimsy said, “You didn’t fill the order, did you?” Posie the manager said, “Yes, I did, but the credit card number Cisco gave me is invalid.”

Mimsy said a cuss word to herself, she told me, wondering why they didn’t run the dang card before they cooked the food. Anyway, she paid with her card, then called Shyanne to go pick up her brother’s food and tell the team to eat it on the patio, not inside.

Well, Shyanne drove into town and got the food, but bless her heart, she didn’t close the tailgate of her doolie before she drove back. All those dinners blew out on the highway without her knowing it. For near a hundred dollars nobody but the varmints got fed.

Mimsy and Chance read Cisco the riot act when they got back. The “credit card number” he gave the Finger Hut was the serial number on his Gameboy, which happens to have sixteen digits. Cisco claimed it had been Rodeo Peavey’s idea, as if that mattered. These young’uns! If they had half a brain between ’em they’d be dangerous.

(Stag Country, Copyright (c) 2018 James Mansfield Nichols. All rights reserved.)

About JMN

I live in Texas and devote much of my time to easel painting on an amateur basis. I stream a lot of music, mostly jazz, throughout the day, and watch Netflix and Prime Video for entertainment. I like to read and memorize poetry.
This entry was posted in Anthology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Finger Hut Follies

1. Eric Wayne says:

Are these true stories, made up, real snippets? I don’t yet know, but I love the details.

• JMN says:

I’m so glad you asked. These are made-up snippets based on my ten years experience teaching Spanish in a Texas country high school. There are 33 of them entitled “This Is Stag Country.” My high school’s mascot was the Jaguars, pronounced “Jaggers.” Highly sports oriented. The boys’ teams were “The Jags,” the girls teams were “The Lady Jags.” All over Texas, the lady this and the lady that. My snippets were born from the desire to have a fictitious mascot called “The Stags,” and to refer to the girls as “The Lady Stags.” From there it got out of hand. For some reason, the voice of these things is a lady in her sixties with lots of opinions about everything. I’m not sure why I adopt lady-voice, but I think it has to do with my mother. Again, I’m delighted that you asked this question.

• Eric Wayne says:

You taught Spanish for a decade! Well, well, I’ve taught English in Asia for about the same in several different countries and schools. Anyway, we’ve got a lot of overlap there. Might explain why we are on the same page on a lot of things.

• JMN says:

I agree. It intrigues me that you’re in Asia.

• Eric Wayne says:

The most intriguing part was my 4.5 years in the middle of China, living in a couple cities with only a handful of foreigners each. I think that changed me.

• JMN says:

Amazing! Undoubtedly you know some Chinese. I’d like to hear more about that. I urged my son to study Chinese when he was in university. He took a number of years of French, which was my first love. In college I fell under the influence of Benjamin Whorf’s thesis about the virtues of learning an “exotic” language, one outside our own language family. Whorf studied the Hopi language. I think his book was called “Language, Thought and Reality.” I also think some of his theories have been discredited by linguists, but I undertook Arabic in the spirit of learning an exotic tongue. Travel broadens, doesn’t it? I hope you may share more of your experience in China.

• Eric Wayne says:

Yes, I learned basic Chinese and could travel anywhere in the country and function. My low-paying jobs nevertheless allowed me to do priceless traveling.

I can speak, read, and even write Thai, and also made some good headway with Khmer.

Asian languages are really tough in terms of pronunciation (if they have tones), and writing if they don’t use roman letters, which most don’t.

I’ve written a bit about my Chinese experience before, mostly the colorful horror stories. The most valuable aspect was being deeply immersed in another culture, and completely separated from my own. The only contact I had with the West my first year in China was when I occasionally braved going to an Internet cafe.